Interested in working for Craigieburn?
We are a small ski area that also runs several lodges for guests. We pay competitively and provide accommodation, meals and ski pass for a six day work week. The season is from approximately early July till late September / early October subject to snow and demand.
Candidates need to be able to work in a team and have a professional, positive and enthusiastic attitude. As the team is small you need to be flexible to cover for other staff on their day off & help out when things get really busy. You should be a competent skier or boarder as Craigieburn is a challenging off-piste ski area.
Accommodation is on the mountain (avoid the expensive and tedious commuting each day) in the main base area set in picturesque New Zealand native forest, in basic staff quarters with small private rooms and a staff living building nearby. There is internet access and laundry facilities.
While working at Craigieburn is a fantastic experience and great fun it is also hard work, sometimes requiring long hours. You will get to ski, board and party if you want, but this is secondary to doing your job properly and effectively. We only employ people who can make a commitment for the entire season.
Note: We do receive hundreds of job applications every season, so please read this information carefully and be patient.Apply online now
Please read the basic position descriptions below. We do not employ any grooming staff, housekeeping or snowboard instructor.
Snow Safety Officer
- Responsible for the safe operation of the ski area (in conjunction with the Ski Area manager). Requires extensive patrol & forecasting experience, assists Field Staff.
- Minimum qualifications: NZ or Canadian avalanche level 2, advanced first aid, explosives certificate.
- Responsible for all on mountain operations including ski patrol, lift operations (rope tows), snow safety, and customer service.
- Minimum qualifications: NZ or Canadian avalanche level 1 recommended, first aid certificate, explosives certificate. Mechanical knowledge of diesel engines and general mechanical skills are an advantage.
Field Assistant (voluntary)
- Unpaid position supporting the base area & Day lodge staff, helping field staff as required & generally helping out in exchange for ski pass/food/accommodation.
Customer Services/Bar supervisor
- Customer service leader for the ski area and responsible for operation of the lodge bar. Requires a friendly, enthusiastic & honest person with superb customer service skills and extensive cafe or bar experience, including stock management.
- Minimum qualifications: Host responsibility course & bar manager’s license an advantage.
- Sole-charge Chef/Cook with 2+ years’ experience in all areas of cooking/baking, organising/ordering. Creating hearty, good quality breakfasts & 3 course dinners for between 30-70 people. Also good at coordinating others including guests to assist with lodge operations.
- Minimum qualifications: Qualified Chef/Cook or relevant experience in a similar position.
Day Lodge supervisor
- Prepare/cook lunches, sell coffee & food, cleaning & managing the high alpine day lodge. Candidate needs to be a competent skier or snowboarder (required to make it to and from your place of work). Requires a friendly, enthusiastic & honest person with superb customer service skills and cafe or cooking experience.
- Minimum qualifications: food hygiene and prep course, Chef/Cook qualifications or relevant experience in a similar position.
Base Area Manager
- Overall management of the base area and some staff supervision including Cook, Barperson, Day Lodge and Ticket Office. The ideal candidate would have cash handling, basic accounting and reporting skills and retail experience. Also needs superb customer service and organisational skills. This position is only appointed if a suitable applicant is found and fits the make-up of other roles.
- Responsible for Ticket Office operations including ski pass sales, lodge bookings and providing guidance to both day visitors and lodge guests. Also assists in the Day Lodge when required. Requires excellent computer skills (Excel, Word, POS), administrative & customer service skills.
- Ski instructor for lodge guests and day visitors (on request).
- Minimum qualifications: NZ or Canadian ski instructor level 3. Depending on demand you will also assist both Base area and Field Staff with general operations. Please note that due to our terrain and general skier ability, we will not consider anyone with less than these minimum qualifications.
We do employ non-New Zealanders but they need to look after their own work permits. Citizens of the following countries can apply for a 12 month working holiday visa: UK, Japan, Canada, Ireland, Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy ,Sweden, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Argentina, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Malta, Taiwan, USA and Uruguay. The visas can be applied for through the New Zealand Embassy of your country. Note that the visa must be applied for in your home country – working holiday visas are not issued once you are in New Zealand. For further information on visas for New Zealand please refer to the New Zealand Immigration Service website.
All of the above information is provisional and subject to final contracts and changes.
Note: We do receive hundreds of job applications every season, so please read this information carefully and be patient.